Drop Down Menu



Welcome to First Gate Business Service New Page 1

Notice Period to quit the job

In accordance with the Labour Law if the employee, who is under a contract for unlimited period, wished to submit his resignation from work, in this case, he shall give notice to the employer on the same and shall work within such period if so required by the employer, i.e. the Labour Law obliges the employee to work within such period and the latter is not entitled to refrain from working within such period, otherwise he will be contrary to Labour Law and be subject to penalty, but he may immediately leave work if the employer allowed him to do so. The contract shall remain in force until the end of the notice period in accordance with the article no. 118 of the Federal Labour Law no. 8 of 1980. As per the law, notice period is one month and may be agreed to increase the same and may not decrease it. Finally, in according to the Ministry of Labour’s decisions now applicable, if the employee has completed two years with the existing employer, he may work with a new sponsor without a need for No Objection Certificate from the existing sponsor.

Frequently Asked Questions
30 day notice period must for resigning
Q: I have been working as an auditor for a private company under an unlimited contract. Now I’ve got a better job and I’ve given the resignation but the company says that I have to give a minimum of three months’ notice as per the offer letter I had signed while joining the firm. There is nothing mentioned about the notice period in the original labour contract which is registered at the Labour Department. Please tell me whether the 30-day notice period is required in my case.
A: Both an employer and employee are entitled, as per Article 117 of the labour law, to terminate the unlimited contract of employment any time, yet with legal and acceptable reasons. However, both parties (employer and employee) are bound to notify each other in writing (notice) at least 30 days before ending their labour relationship, either by termination or resignation.
Such a notice period is an indispensable term whether it is stipulated in the contract of employment or not. In other words, no matter this condition is mentioned in the contract or not, it is applicable and guaranteed by law to protect the rights of both parties.

Reducing notice period against contract

Q: I am working in a company and my labour contract is for three years. My contract is unlimited and I have already completed two years of service. In my contract, it is said that I have to give a three-month notice period before resigning. I am planning to quit. Is it possible to give a one-month notice period? If not, what are the consequences?

A: The established principles of law in the UAE are that the contracting parties must observe all the provisions of the relevant contract and must fulfil their obligations accordingly. Since three months’ prior notice is mentioned in your employment contract, as per the UAE Labour Law, you must give three-month prior notice for resigning the job. Otherwise, you will be held responsible for compensation in lieu of notice as per Article 119 of the UAE Labour Law.
According to the article, “If the employer or the employee has failed to serve notice to the other party for termination of the contract or has reduced the notice period, the party obliged to serve the notice shall pay to the other party an indemnity called “Compensation in lieu of notice”, and the indemnity shall be equal to the employee’s pay for the notice period in full or in proportion to the diminished part” (KT).

Employer cannot recover Visa renewal cost

Q: I have been working in a foodstuff trading company since 1998. My residence visa was renewed in February 2012, but my labour card is expiring in February 2013 and my job contract is unlimited. Recently, due to some health problems of my father in India, I was unable to continue my work in Dubai, and hence submitted my resignation giving a 30-day notice period, which the company has accepted. I wish to cancel my visa and travel back to India. But the company told me they would impose a one-year ban and recover my salary for 45 days towards my visa renewal charges. Is this legal?

A: It is not legal for your employer to recover the visa’s cost if you have given 30-day prior notice unless otherwise provided in your employment contract.
Under UAE laws, if an employee leaves a job without completing two years, then the Ministry of Labour will impose a work ban for six months or for one year if it is imposed by the company and during that time, the individual is not allowed to work in the UAE. Both these situations are not applicable to you as you have completed 14 years in the same company. Furthermore, a work ban is not applicable if the current or new employer is based in a free zone in Dubai.

Employment Visa During 6 Month Ban

Limited Contract


  Back |

Printer-Friendly version

Print Page  | Email this article



Tell a Friend

തിരുവനന്തപുരം UAE കോണ്‍സുലേറ്റില്‍ വിസ നടപടിക്രമങ്ങള്‍ക്കായി പോകുന്നവര്‍ക്ക് ആവശ്യമായ മെഡിക്കല്, അപ്പോയ്ന്‍റ്മെന്‍റ്, മെഡിക്കല്‍ സര്‍ട്ടിഫിക്കറ്റ് അറ്റസ്റ്റേഷന്, ക്രഡിറ്റ്കാര്‍ഡ് വഴി കോണ്‍സുലേറ്റില്‍ പണം അടക്കല്, താമസം, യാത്ര തുടങ്ങിയ സേവനങ്ങള്‍ക്ക് ബന്ധപ്പെടുക.  read more
Explore International 
+91-953 90 51 386
+91-894 33 28 266



Welcome to First Gate Business Service

Affidavit for Child's Passport | Affidavit for Maid Visa-Indian Consulate | Attestation | Ban-1Year | Business Set-Up in Dubai | Certificate Attestation | Change of Name | Change of Spouse Name | Cheque Bounce | Consulate Procedures for Maid Visa | Consulate Works-Ind | Credit Card Debt | Damaged Passport | Date of Birth Correction Death Cert. Attestation | ECNR | Embassies & Consulates | Employment ban | Employment Contract-Ind.Consulate | Employment Visa-UAE | Employment rules-UAE | FAQs-Visa | Family Visa Abu Dhabi | Family Visa-Ajman | Family Visa-Dubai | Family Visa Sharjah | Fines-UAE | Immigration Clearance | Important Telephone Numbers-Dubai | Indian Maid- Change Visa inside UAE | India Tourist Visa | International Driving Permit-Dubai | Investor Visa-Dubai | Labour Dispute-UAE | Labour Law-UAE | Legalization at UAE Embassy | LLC formation-Dubai | Loss of Passport-Dubai | Maid Visa-UAE | Marriage Solemnization at Indian Consulate-Dubai | Medical Test-Dubai | Mission Visa-UAE | MoH & DoH Exams | Multiple Entry Visa-Dubai | Municipality Exam for Engineers-Dubai | NRI Certificate | OK to Board | Online Service | Passport Lost | PCC Attestation-UAE Embassy Delhi | PCC-India | PCC Out of Country-Dubai | Pharmacist Exam-UAE | Re-entry-UAE | Salary Certificate Attestation-Dubai | Saudi Visa | Servant Visa-UAE | Sharjah Visa rules | Surrender of Indian Passport | Tatkaal Passport | TC Attestation-Consulate-Dubai | Tourist Visa-UAE | Translation | UAE Embassies World-wide | Umrah Visa | Undertaking for Studies | Visa for Step-child-Dubai | Visa on Arrival-Dubai | Visa on Arrival-India | Visa on Arrival-Qatar | Visas of two countries | Visit Visa-UAE | Will Attestation-Dubai | Work in UAE | Work Permit-UAE | more


Explore International , 2nd Floor, City Tower, Pandikkad Road, Opp. KTA Gents Planet, MANJERI, Malappuram Dt, Kerala, India.
Tel. +91 - 953 90 51 386, 894 33 28 266 Email: exploreprocess@gmail.com, www.allprocess.in

Head Office: Dubai, U.A.E. www.visaprocess.ae